Search This Blog

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Arise, Shine, For You Light Has Come

Rising up early in the morning has always been something that I struggled with my entire life.  I remember being a kid and my mother constantly struggling to wake me up early in the morning to get to school on time and the truth is I probably wouldn't have if it were up to me.  I guess you can say that I am a night owl and tend to stay up late but I have always wanted to be a mom who could wake up early and get into my Bible, do early morning chores, cook breakfast for the children and just have that quiet time of prayer and devotions.  It is something that I prayed about, so when one of the mom's in our homeschool group offered to do an early morning devotion/prayer at 6:15 a.m. I was up for the task! Or was I??  Well, the truth is that my heart & mind were but my body wasn't (well heck my body has been used to waking up late for quite some time since all four of my kids tend to sleep-in as well).  I really have had to pray for strength and force myself up (using 2 and 3 alarms) in spite of my sleepiness and I must say that it has been a bit rocky but mostly an awesome transition.  Waking up early has helped me in so many ways and has made my homeschool day flow so much better!!  I typically have time do our devotions & pray on the phone, wash/fold laundry, make breakfast, prepare homeschool work, make some coffee and enjoy it while I read my Bible or other books and then enjoy each and every child as they arise on their own  ;-) There is less chaos and the house is filled with much more love & joy & peace.  We are done with homeschool much earlier as well!

As I sat with my oldest child at the table this morning, the Lord confirmed to me that rising early is exactly what he wants for my life.  He did this through my little boy, who opened up the Bible to read to me and happened to land on Isaiah 60:1-5:

"Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you.  See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn.  Lift up your eyes and look about you: All assemble and come to you; your sons come from afar, and your daughters are carried on the arm.  Then you will look radiant, your heart will throb and swell with joy; the wealth of the seas will be brought to you, to you the riches of the nations will come." NIV

Wow, isn't it totally amazing how the Lord works?! He always lets me know what he wants me to do and I just give him all of the glory and honor and praise for being such a wonderful God ;-)  Thank you Jesus!

No comments: