Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

The Day Before a Photo Shoot

The evening before a photo shoot for my company - Athena Scott Photography, is always exciting for me ;-)  As I prepare all of the equipment (by packing the cameras, charging the batteries, testing the external flash and making sure that everything is functioning well and ready to go) my heart and mind start to get into my pre-session mode.  Those who know me and have seen me with my cameras can probably explain "the mode" but I'll just sum it up...it's like I transform when I pick up that camera and there is this overwelming sense of urgency inside of me to photograph and after it takes over I start photographing like crazy (I mean I'm standing on a chair, down on the floor and all over the place looking for that perfect angle).  The passion for what I do really fuels me to continue to strive to exceed my expectations to excel each and every time I'm out there with my camera!

So the day before the shoot I start to envision a perfect photo session.  I think about all of the shots I'd love to capture and about all of the different poses I'd like to utilize for each person individually (depending on their age and personality) and then for the family as a whole.  I dream of taking beautiful photographs of the children and their families and that these photographs will one day be precious memories of those fond family moments together.  I think of the importance of what I do and that the stakes are high to really produce photos that speak for themselves.  I do like smiley photos but for me being able to capture "real emotions" of children laughing and the closeness of family members can be a daunting task and my nerves begin to rise as I think about all of my expectations and just pray that I succeed in my goals of creating real photographic art that is expressive and creative, serious and introspective, bubbly and fun.  I truly want to capture their personalities, their humor, their love for each other.  I want them to be serious, then happy, then goofy...I aim to capture their raw emotions but sometimes it can be difficult for those who are shy to open up to a photographer who is literally behind a big clunky metal machine.  Those nerves inside of me and those strong desires to really want to do a great job sometimes force the mommy in me to come out and then I start to act goofy and do silly things to make people laugh and just relax in front of the camera.  I don't want them to be stiff and uncomfortable so I have to do everything in my power to help them to feel comfortable being photographed naturally.

As I prepare everything and just sit and think of these things I can't help but thank the Lord for giving me this gift and passion to photograph people ;-) I'm also so thankful that I can ever pursue a business in a field that I love.  Ever since I was a little girl I have always loved taking photos.  It wasn't until high school that I started to actually study it though.  All of those fond memories of being in the darkroom and really creating photographs start to come back and I smile, then those fluffy butterflies come into my stomach and I just can't wait to get out there and do what I do the next day ;-) I get out my photo books and get inspired.  I also pray that I am successful in the task that is set before me and give all of my glory to God.

No comments: